Nourish the soil before planting the seed.
This describes the best approach to boosting fertility and increasing your chances for conception. A woman with a healthy body will naturally provide a healthy, nourishing environment for a baby. Acupuncture, herbal treatment and healthy lifestyle adjustments help put the body back into a state of balance to create a healthy & receptive space for conception to happen.
Benefits of acupuncture on fertility:
- Improves blood flow to the reproductive organs
- Regulates menstrual cycles
- Helps promote ovulation
- Enhances follicle/egg quality and production.
- Thickens the uterine lining to assist embryo implantation.
- Reduces stress, anxiety & depression
- Increases chance of successful outcome with IVF and other fertility procedures
- Improves sperm count, quality, motility, and morphology for male factor infertility.
- Regulates hormone levels
- Reduces chance of miscarriage
- Improves overall health and well being to help naturally facilitate conception and a healthy pregnancy.
Specific gynecological conditions related to infertility that acupuncture can treat:
- Hormonal imbalance, (elevated FSH levels, high prolactin levels, etc.)
- Low ovarian reserve
- Poor egg quality
- Ovulation problems
- Irregular menstrual cycles
- Fallopian tube blockage
- Ovarian cysts and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- Endometriosis and Fibroids
- Thin endometrium lining
- Short luteal phase
- Recurrent miscarriage
- Poor sperm count, quality, morphology & motility
What to expect? A minimum of 3 consecutive months of regular weekly treatment to help regulate the menstrual cycle and improve the quality of eggs, or for any kind of menstrual difficulty or to improve sperm quality. Results are usually seen sooner for reducing stress and improved overall health and well being. Shortly after starting treatment, many of my patients report better sleep quality, more energy, better digestion, etc. Chinese herbal formulas are often prescribed based on your individual diagnosis. The combination of herbs & acupuncture together is stronger and yields quicker results.
Ideally treatment is given weekly or twice a week but an individualized treatment plan can be done to fit your needs. In these cases, I will advise you on the most critical times to come in during your cycle. If you are undergoing IVF, acupuncture is advised weekly throughout the whole process.
In Part 2, my next post I will discuss how acupuncture increases IVF success so stay tuned!